The BGA is seeking an experienced and enterprising reporter who understands government finance, the state government and the legislature. This reporter will know the statewide issues, the players and the lobbyists. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable juggling short- and medium-term investigative and enterprise stories that set the coverage agenda for Chicago and across Illinois.
Reporting to: Investigations Editor
Key collaborative relationships: Editor in chief, enterprise editor, investigations team, audience engagement team members
About the role:
As a reporter for the BGA, the successful candidate will:
- Deliver a steady stream of incisive and exclusive content to a growing audience, helping define coverage within Illinois
- Produce watchdog and accountability journalism that leads to change
- Have a sincere interest in collaborating on or producing solutions journalism
- Bring a digital and social media mindset to the job and know how to engage readers
- Apply a strong facility with quantitative data, spreadsheets and budgets as essential tools of reporting
- Be adept with social media, particularly for finding sources and developing reader engagement
- Be comfortable speaking publicly and in broadcast media about the work produced in various forums
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or other relevant discipline
- At least five years of reporting experience with demonstrated impact preferred
- Excellent communication and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience with public records and data
- A collaborative mindset and an eagerness to partner both internally and externally on stories
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Strong grasp of key issues affecting city, county and state government
- Self-starter capable of working at a fast pace, independently and as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits
Salary for a fully qualified candidate starts at $70,000 and may be negotiable for those with exceptional experience and qualifications. We are looking for a talented, high-potential colleague who can contribute to the success of this enterprise, and such candidates who may not meet all the listed job requirements are invited to apply. Position also includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a comprehensive paid time off package; and a 401(k) with an employer match.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing submissions immediately and we will consider applicants while the posting remains on our website.
We encourage applicants from traditionally underrepresented communities, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. The Better Government Association is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness for all employees. We welcome the unique contributions you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.