The Better Government Association is seeking a vibrant and engaging events professional to actively contribute to the successful planning and implementation of physical, hybrid and digital events for our growing organization.
The Events Coordinator will plan and coordinate events centered around the work of the Illinois Answers Project, BGA Policy, and development team to enhance the impact of the BGA overall.
A member of the audience engagement team, the Events Coordinator reports to the Manager of Audience Engagement and will collaborate across the news, policy, and development teams.
This position will be based in our Chicago office located in the Loop and will be a hybrid, with some days required in the office each week.
About the BGA
The Better Government Association was founded in 1923 and will celebrate its 100th anniversary of serving Illinois residents in 2023. The BGA publishes the Illinois Answers Project, an investigative and solutions-focused news outlet launched in 2022, as well as BGA Policy, which advocates for more transparent, accountable and efficient government through public policy reform.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop events strategies and plans for the organization’s signature events, including the Richard H. Driehaus Awards for Investigative Reporting and BGA Annual Luncheon
- Collaborate and communicate with stakeholders to ensure event deliverables are accurate, on time and within budget
- Manage event planning and conduct regular checkpoints with deliverable owners
- Work with Social Media & Newsletter Editor on communicating events to BGA audiences
- Maintain a strong relationship with vendors and venues, including suppliers, contractors, photographers, catering, etc.
- Identify and vet vendors, including benchmarking quotes and negotiating to ensure maximum value and favorable terms
- Work with both internal and external partners to create print and digital assets and event communications
- Assist the audience engagement team with other duties as needed
Successful candidates will likely have the following skills and competencies or demonstrate that they have equivalent skills:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of four years of event management, preferably in a newsroom or development environment
- Familiarity with in-person, hybrid & virtual events, including current tools & trends
- A positive and friendly manner, with strong customer service skills, high degree of flexibility, and the ability to work under pressure
- A charismatic negotiator who gets the best deal while maintaining positive business relationships
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Problem solver with a creative and positive mindset and consistently solution orientated
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, build community, and innovate in form and function
- Self-starter capable of working at a fast pace, independently or as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $45,000 – $50,000. The position also includes medical and dental insurance; vision benefits; pre-tax commuter benefits; a comprehensive paid time off package; commuter transit benefits; and a 401(k) with employer match.
This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing submissions immediately and we will consider applicants while the posting remains on our website.
We encourage applicants from traditionally underrepresented communities, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. The Better Government Association is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness for all employees. We welcome the unique contributions you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.