The Better Government Association (BGA) is seeking a news- and web-savvy graphic designer with a targeted skill set — illustrations and visualizations for journalism, design for web and social media — to work on new and existing projects.
This position requires excellent visual storytelling skills, as well as a practical understanding of how readers engage with our content on a wide variety of platforms, from articles to social media, from desktop to mobile. It also requires a proven knowledge of and experience with Illinois news media and politics/government/social justice journalism.
Founded in 1923, BGA is Illinois’ only nonpartisan, investigative and watchdog organization. We are a nonprofit 501c3 that produces investigative journalism, policy advocacy and civic engagement to promote better government accountability in Illinois.
As graphic designer, you will work with the Civic Engagement team and have a mix of short- and long-term work.
Participate in planning for special projects — large-scope investigations, data visualizations, podcasts — to confirm the direction of the design package, and work with the Civic Engagement team to design the package
Work with the Civic Engagement team to design and develop a consistent user experience across our websites — bettergov.org, ILvotes.org, etc.
Work with the Civic Engagement team to conceptualize look and feel around external engagement campaigns — events, watchdog trainings, etc.
Design lead and secondary art for stories
Create static designs for website enhancements
Design elements for social media, external engagement campaigns
The ideal candidate must have:
- Proven attention to detail
- Proven ability to hit deadlines
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects
- Experience designing within a media brand
- Experience designing for responsive web
- Creativity to bring flair to stories that may lack obvious visual appeal
- Expert-level familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop) to design photo illustrations and graphics. Illustration, animation and video editing skills are pluses.
- An ability to thrive in a collaborative and creative environment
- High school diploma
Arrangement & compensation:
6-month contract (renewable)
20-30 hours per week — at least one day in the office to interface with teams
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and at least 5 work samples or a link to your portfolio to email@example.com.