The BGA's Investigative Unit hires unpaid interns in the summer and throughout the year to assist in news projects.
Some of the duties might include:
- going to courthouses to pull documents
- making phone calls to sources
- attending news conferences
- contributing to select stories and blogs
- coming up with ideas for articles and investigations
- filing Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests
The following qualifications are preferred:
- journalism or related major in college
- upperclassmen, graduate student or recent grad
- previous experience writing and reporting
- a nose for news, and an ability to learn new skills quickly
- an understanding of local government (particularly in Chicago and Illinois) and current events
- a solid work ethic, attention to detail and a sense of humor
Note: Depending on the circumstances, the BGA is willing to comply with requirements so that an internship can translate into course credit.
Please send resume, cover letter and list of three references to Bob Secter, Director of Investigations, at email@example.com.