BGA Web & Graphics Editor
The Better Government Association is seeking an energetic and creative full-time Web & Graphics Editor to lead our digital publishing and design efforts.
The BGA’s mission is to promote transparency, efficiency, and accountability in government in Chicago and across the state of Illinois. For nearly 100 years, the BGA has vigorously investigated government waste and corruption, advocated for good-government reform, litigated to defend public access to information, and mobilized the public to achieve change. This position will be critical to communicate that mission.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Web & Graphics Editor is an integral member of the BGA team and is responsible for the BGA website and designing and producing many of the visual elements that accompany BGA work.
The ideal candidate is a hybrid journalist + digital designer who understands visual storytelling, is passionate about in-depth investigative reporting and policy analysis, and can work collaboratively to create digital presentations that elevate the impact of written words and raw data. The preferred candidate will be a partner in advancing the BGA’s efforts to deepen our coverage of and interconnections with poor, underserved and minority communities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, manage and publish in Drupal CMS; proofread and edit page content, including page design layout.
- Produce inviting, user-friendly, dynamic data visuals accurately and quickly.
- Work closely with the BGA’s investigative and policy teams to conceptualize and produce visually appealing graphics for both investigative and policy content.
- Provide input and design for our civic engagement, marketing and development efforts as needed.
- Occasionally work as a manager for special story projects, directing the efforts of vendors and freelancers and drawing on the talents of BGA colleagues.
- Collaborate as a strategic partner with the BGA leadership team while leading efforts to update the website, improve the user experience and more deeply connect the BGA with diverse audiences.
- Lead the move to a new CMS in 2021.
- Track analytics, measure progress against goals, provide suggestions and produce regular reports.
- Stay current on new and emerging trends and provide suggestions for improving platforms and functionality.
- BA preferred.
- Demonstrated high-level capability for web editing, story illustration, graphic design and publishing, likely as a result of three or more years of professional experience.
- Familiarity with Drupal is a plus, but not mandatory if you are a quick study with significant time working with other CMS/design languages (Tarbell, etc.).
- Project management experience preferred.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and independently.
- Passion to advance the organization’s mission and vision, and interest in and basic knowledge of state and local Illinois government.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and examples of work to Alpa B. Pandya, Executive Assistant and Board Liaison, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Better Government Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin.