The Better Government Association, Illinois' only nonpartisan full-service watchdog organization, seeks a detailed-oriented development associate with experience in Raiser's Edge to support all aspects of fundraising related to gift and data processing, revenue report generation, gift acknowledgments and stewardship of individual, institutional and corporate relationships. The development associate is a core member of BGA’s three-person development department.
Reporting to the director of development, the development associate ensures data accuracy and integrity for the growing database of donors in Raiser’s Edge; oversees gift processing and gift acknowledgments; manages monthly development/finance gift reconciliation processes; runs weekly and monthly progress to goal reports; manages donor tracking; and supports donor cultivation and research efforts.
About the BGA
The BGA produces in-depth investigations focused on structural failings in government, with an emphasis on equity, integrity and accountability. Founded in 1923, the BGA currently has a 10-person investigative team, two of them Pulitzer winners. The BGA also is comprised of four other departments: audience engagement, development, operations and policy. The BGA’s policy team operates independently of the newsroom, advocates for accountable and transparent government, and pursues a legal strategy to defend and expand access to public records and open meetings. We have received a multi-year commitment for new funding that will fuel a major expansion of our investigative team and other departments. The BGA offers a collaborative and positive work environment. Our team embraces diversity, growth, and new ideas.
Reports to the director of development
- Oversee gift processing and work with BGA administration and external accounting firm to manage, process, and accurately record all donations of checks, credit cards and electronic funds transfers.
- Responsible for drafting, preparing, and sending donor thank you notes and letters in a timely manner. Segment donor cohorts based on giving levels. Proof stewardship letters prior to signatures by president and CEO or director of development.
- Responsible for data entry in the development database and other development documents and Excel spreadsheets. Assist in donor portfolio management and recording donor activity.
- Create and update weekly and monthly progress-to-goal reports. Respond to data retrieval requests such as mailing lists, event RSVPs and proposal status queries quickly and accurately.
- Serve as the Better Government Association’s Raisers Edge administrator for the development department. Follow best practices to record donor information; assist staff with constructing queries, exports and reports. Design and maintain policies, procedures, training manuals, and documentation related to use of the database and reports.
- Maintain integrity and security of the fundraising database and donor information.
- Support the director of development and grant writer in prospect research activities.
- Assist development team members in implementation of annual appeals and donor engagement activities.
- Coordinate the Annual Fund and annual INN NewsMatch campaign in collaboration with the Marketing Manager.
- Participate in Annual Luncheon planning and recording of sponsorship gifts. Generates lists and coordinates with annual luncheon event management firm. Prepare sponsorship packets.
- Support the development team with a variety of administrative duties including: answering the phone, scheduling meetings, coordinating mailings, communicating with donor offices, preparing weekly donor reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have 2+ years of direct Raiser's Edge experience.
- Some college experience or relevant work experience.
- 2-3 years of experience working in non-profit or social impact organization.
- Dependability, accuracy, planning, calendaring, and attention to detail are required.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, meet deadlines, multi-task, and provide
effective follow-up with staff and external partners.
- Strong orientation to customer service; utmost discretion in handling confidential data.
- Interest in fundraising and the BGA’s mission.
- Strong communication skills – written, verbal and presentation.
- Excellent computer skills, word processing, database and spreadsheet software programs.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary for this full-time position starts at $50,000 and may be negotiable for candidates with exceptional experience and qualifications. Position also includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; a comprehensive paid time off package; and a 401(k) with an employer match.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing submissions immediately and we will consider applicants while the posting remains on our website.
We encourage reporters from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. The Better Government Association is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness for all employees. We welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.