About the BGA and ISP: We are the Illinois Solutions Partnership, a collaboration of the Better Government Association and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. Our startup launched operations in early 2022, thanks to a five-year funding commitment from McCormick, plus the BGA’s commitment to devote a growing staff of reporters, editors and other resources to the effort. Both partners intend to make this a sustainable enterprise beyond the initial five-year period.
Reporting to: Editor in Chief
Supervising: Enterprise reporters
Key collaborative relationships: Editor in Chief, investigations editor, news reporters, audience engagement team.
Role Description: The Enterprise Editor is a senior newsroom leader who will own and drive regular enterprise content, as well as lead our solutions journalism initiative. This editor will work collaboratively with the investigations editor to develop and execute journalism strategy. This manager will supervise reporters and work with the audience engagement team to help develop and direct our social media strategy.
- Supervise four to six reporters
- Oversee our enterprise and solutions journalism coverage, serving as the main contact person for those efforts
- Serve as the lead person creating and maintaining a journalism budget planned for each week, collaborating with the EIC, investigations editor and manager of audience engagement
- Serve on the newsroom leadership team and represent the newsroom at the company’s weekly communications meeting
- Work with the editor in chief to help with the development of new products, which may include newsletters, podcasts, website pages and other external communications.
- Additional responsibilities, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 5 years of experience supervising employees charged with creating content; previous newsroom experience highly desired
- Experience setting and meeting deadlines
- Experience overseeing enterprise and solutions-based journalism projects strongly preferred
- Proven skills in creating clear, concise, and compelling communication; strong writing and editing skills with keen attention to detail
- Collaborative approach in working with other company leaders, staff and partners
- Strong grasp of key issues affecting city, county and state government
- Ability to identify problems and suggest solutions and see new opportunities
- Knowledge of industry trends, benchmarks, best practices, to ensure the BGA is a trailblazer
- Self-starter capable of working at a fast pace, independently and as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits
We are looking for talented, high-potential colleagues who can contribute to the success of this enterprise, and such candidates who may not meet all the listed job requirements are invited to apply. Position also includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; a comprehensive paid time off package; and a 401(k) with an employer match. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing submissions immediately and we will consider applicants while the posting remains on our website.
We encourage applicants from traditionally underrepresented communities, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. The Better Government Association is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness for all employees. We welcome the unique contributions you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.