The Better Government Association seeks a full-time Policy Analyst to support the advocacy mission of the BGA. This position plays a key role in the development, coordination and implementation of the BGA’s policy agenda.
The Policy Analyst contributes to the advancement of the BGA's agenda in Chicago, Cook County and the State of Illinois through research and analysis of policy initiatives and through advocacy work with other reform groups and public officials.
About the BGA
The BGA is a nonpartisan, nonprofit watchdog organization that combines investigative journalism, advocacy and civic engagement to promote good government at the local, county and state levels in Illinois. Its offices are located in Chicago.
The BGA policy team is a leading advocate for open records and open government in Illinois. Its policy agenda has included fair redistricting, ethics reforms, safe and accessible elections and consolidation of local governments. The BGA policy team operates independently of the BGA’s investigative team, which conducts deep journalistic investigations of corruption, mismanagement, inefficiency, inequity and lack of transparency.
- Conducts original research and analysis of policy issues to advance short- and longterm goals of the BGA’s policy team.
- Helps determine BGA positions on complex policy issues by efficiently synthesizing and summarizing complex legislation and policies.
- Prepares articles, policy briefings, research reports, memos, presentations, fact sheets, testimony and other documents that clearly and comprehensively articulate analyses and positions for the BGA’s policy team, public officials and general readership
- Reviews and monitors legislation.
- Advises Director of Policy and staff on recommendations for policy positions and advocacy strategies.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and advocate for BGA policy issues. Supports the BGA’s policy positions in writing, media interviews, on panels, in testimony, and in conversations with policy makers.
The ideal candidate will:
- have a minimum of two years’ experience with a strong emphasis on legislative advocacy or relevant expertise and experience in government, journalism or a related field.
- have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- understand the Illinois, Chicago and Cook County legislative processes, including how to access, read and analyze legislative documents such as bills, amendments and committee reports; committee testimony, records, debates and actions; floor debates and actions; and the messages and actions of elected officials.
- possess excellent analytical and writing skills; be able to analyze budgets, basic datasets and policy practices from across the country.
- understand how to protect the BGA’s non-partisan standing while advocating for policy reforms and interacting with partisans from all sides of public policy issues.
- be comfortable serving as a spokesperson and prepping talking points/speeches for senior staff; be able to provide oral and written testimony and serve as subject matter expert.
- have a history of working with a broad range of stakeholders (internal and external).
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org using this subject line “Policy Analyst Candidate”:
- Cover letter
- A writing sample that demonstrates analytic and research skills, and reflects independent analysis and writing
- 2 to 3 references
No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted through March 31, 2021.
The BGA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and strongly encourage applicants of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, veterans and/or those from immigrant backgrounds to apply for this position.