- This event has passed.
City Council 101
April 18 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Chicago’s new City Council will take office on May 15th. But how does it all really work, inside the council chambers? Join the Better Government Association’s policy team for an in-depth seminar on the history, rules, and workings of Chicago City Council.
Free and open to the public, this seminar will be especially beneficial to new lawmakers and their staff, as well as individuals and organizations active in seeking policy and legislative changes.
Panels and Speakers:
(9:15 – 10:30 am) Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going: The History and Future of Chicago’s City Council
- Joe Ferguson – Former City of Chicago Inspector General
- Dick Simpson – Professor, University of Illinois – Chicago
- Michele Smith – Former Alderman 43rd Ward
(10:35 – 11:55 am) Making the Sausage: The Rules and Workings of City Council
- Anna Valencia, Chicago City Clerk
- Ald. Jason Ervin (28th Ward)
- Ald. Carlos Ramirez-Rosa (35th Ward)
- Ald. Matt Martin (47th Ward)
A complimentary breakfast will be available.